Dillon C. Snell oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Snell's experiences: training at Camp Hale and handling cold weather; role as a platoon leader; how orders were given and followed during combat; an Italian farmhouse used as an outpost to prevent German soldiers from reaching the Po Valley; current residents (2003) and location for the farmhouse; two soldiers he knew and respected: John WInchester and Ben Duke.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Dillon C. Snell was born in Minneapolis, Minn. on August 16, 1924 and enlisted in the Army on December 12, 1942 at Lansing, Mich. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried and had completed one year of college. Snell joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado where he was assigned to Company L of the 86th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy he was wounded in action at C Peli on April 19, 1945 and received two Bronze Star medals for his actions at Mount Gorgolesco on February 20, 1945 and during the Apennines and Po RIver campaigns late in Spring 1945.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Snell, Dillon C. 1924- -- Interviews.
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Dillon C. Snell oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script