Fred Payne Clatworthy Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains photo copies of 57 transcripts of letters Clatworthy wrote to his parents and sister in Evanston, Ill. during a photographic expedition by bicycle, foot and burro through Colo., N.M., Arizona, Calif. during June 20, 1898-June 16, 1899; photo copy of holographic letter June 25, 1898 (2 pages); photo copy of newspaper accounts of expedition (6 pages); 3 photographs of Odessa Lake & Outlet, Grand Lake at Sunrise, Fern Lake (ca.1920s).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Pioneer color photographer, born Aug. 30, 1875 in Dayton, Ohio. Travelled throughout the Western U.S. (1898-1899); moved to Estes Park, Colo. (1903) and opened photographic studio (1905). Died July 18, 1953 in Estes Park.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Mrs. C. William Gish (daughter); 1972.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Photocopies of letters only (1972); originals held by Mrs. C. William Gish, Littleton, Colo.
Collection formerly cataloged under C MSS -M126.
- Clatworthy, Fred Payne, 1875-1953 -- Archives.
- Clatworthy, Fred Payne, 1875-1953 -- Travel -- West (U.S.)
- Cycling -- West (U.S.) -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Travel literature Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fred Payne Clatworthy Papers
- Keli Schmid
- May 15, 2022
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script