Thomas Bacher oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Bacher's experiences, he illustrates his comments with sketches he drew during his time in Italy documenting the events: during the Spiazzi attack; Po River; climbing Belvedere; strategic nature of crossing the Po River in effort to slow German advance; attending a funeral for a General; death of Sgt. Louis O. Brown, being a pallbearer at his funeral in Portland, Ore.;
- Check date
- Bacher, Thomas J.,1923- 2008. (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
- Bacher, Thomas J., 1923- 2008, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Thomas Bacher was born on April 9, 1923 in Vienna, Austria, emigrated with his family to Budapest, Hungary before arriving in New York City, N.Y. in 1939. He was married and had completed college before he enlisted in the Army on January 7, 1944. Bacher joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company C of the 87th Infantry Regiment. He also trained at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. Bacher was wounded in action at Spiazzi on April 29, 1945 and received the Soldiers Medal for his actions at Brescia on May 18, 1945. He attained the rank of Private First Class. Bacher died in Bellevue, Wash. on September 17, 2008.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Bacher, Thomas J., 1923- 2008 -- Interviews.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Thomas Bacher oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States