Howard Harvey oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Harvey's experiences as a Canadian citizen living in the U.S.; inability to enlist; being drafted into the 87th Infantry; Kiska operations, weather, losses; opportunity to transfer to Canadian military; as a radio operator, his advanced communications training at Ft. Benning, Ga.; missing the "D" series at Camp Hale; working as a radio man in Italy; the death of two Army chaplains; Italian family he stayed with toward the end of the war and his lifelong friendship with their children.
- Check date
- Harvey, Howard R.,1922-2011. (Person)
- Harvey, Howard R., 1922-2011, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Howard Russell Harvey was born in Windsor, Ontario, Canada on May 1, 1922 and emigrated to San Diego, Calif. with his family in 1923. He enlisted in the Army on February 16, 1943 at Los Angeles, Calif. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried, had completed 1 year of college and working as a window dresser. Harvey joined Company M and Headquarters Company of the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment at Fort Ord, Calif., where he trained for the invasion of Kiska Island, Alaska. After service in Alaska, Harvey trained at Camp Hale, Colo. and at Camp Swift, Tex. before being deployed to Italy. He received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions near S. Benedetto Po and the Po River campaign on April 23, 1945. Harvey died in San Diego, Calif. on October 20, 2011.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fort Ord (Calif.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Harvey, Howard R., 1922-2011 -- Interviews.
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Howard Harvey oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States