Vernon F. Jessen oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Jessen's experiences: during basic training at Camp Carson, Colo.; joining the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Tex.; 8 day voyage to Italy aboard the USS West Point; trip from Pisa to Naples; time in combat with details about climbing mountains, meeting and killing a German officer; transferring a wounded solider out of harm's way; assigned to Trieste after the war, and side trips to Venice and the Riviera; end of war.
- Check date
- Jessen, Vernon F.,1926- (Person)
- Jessen, Michael, (Person)
- Jessen, Vernon F., (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Vernon F. Jessen was born in Iowa on March 7, 1926 and enlisted in the Army on June 14, 1944 in Camp Dodge, Iowa. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried, had completed four years of high school, and working as a general office clerk. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Tex., where he was assigned to Company E of the 85th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, Jessen was wounded in action at Mount Della Torraccia on February 22, 1945. He attained the rank of Private First Class and received a Bronze Star medal in 1999.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Carson (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jessen, Vernon F., 1926- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Vernon F. Jessen oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States