Russell L. Swygman oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Swygman's experiences: rifleman replacement to Company K of the 86th Infantry Regiment; crossing the Po River, Lake Garda in Italy; five week cycles the training replacement troops went through; being stationed at Camp Carson, Colo. after the war; discharge from Camp Swift, Tex.
- Check date
- Swygman, Russell L.,1925- (Person)
- Swygman, Russell L., 1925- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Russell L. Swygman was born in Ind. on February 7, 1925 and enlisted in the Army at Ft. Harrison, Ind. on June 28, 1944. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed four years of high school, and working as a farmhand. Swygman joined the 10th Mountain Division in Italy, where he was assigned to the Service Company of the 86th Infantry Regiment, but later transferred to Company K. During combat operations in Italy, he was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions at the Po River on April 22, 1945. Swygman attained the rank of Private First Class.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Carson (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Swygman, Russell L., 1925- -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Russell L. Swygman oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States