Ernest Leroy Tapley Jr. oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Tapley's experiences: work as a ski and rock-climbing instructor; ski and camping trips to Aspen, Colo.; being sent to the Aleutian Islands, training he conducted; equipment and training; teaching survival skills; becoming a director of Outward Bound, training and expected outcomes.
- Check date
- Tapley, Ernest Leroy,Jr.,1924- (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
- Tapley, Ernest Leroy, Jr., 1924- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Ernest L. Tapley Jr. was born in Mass. in 1924 and enlisted in the Army at Boston, Mass in 1943. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed two years of high school and was employed as a lumberman. Tapley joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo., serving at different times in Companies C, G and A of the 86th Mountain Infantry Regiment, later with the Mountain Training Group and the 10th Mountain Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop. In June 1944, he transferred to the North Pacific Combat School. Tapley attained the rank of Technician Grade 5.
2 videodisc (100 min.) :sd., col. ;4 3/4 in. + 1/2 in.) + 1 envelope
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tapley, Ernest Leroy, Jr., 1924- -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Ernest Leroy Tapley Jr. oral history,2004[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States