Manfred G. Wuerslin oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Wuerslin's experiences: being a student at Northwestern University where he joined the reserves and later the 10th Mountain Division; interest in skiing and the out-of-doors; his cousin in the German army; time at Mt. Belvedere and combat on Hill 913; spa where he spent time before the April 1945 offensive; being wounded in action prior to crossing the Po River; visiting Italian cities after the war and the positive influences these experiences had on his life.
- Check date
- Wuerslin, Manfred G.,1923- (Person)
- Wuerslin, Manfred G., 1923- (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Manfred "Monny" G. Wuerslin was born in Bandung, Java, Indonesia on August 27, 1923. His parents were German nationals and he and his family emigrated to the United States from Germany in 1929. He enlisted in the Army on December 14, 1942 at Boston, Mass. At the time of his enlistment Wuerslin had received American citizenship, was unmarried and had completed four years of high school. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was initally assigned to Company D and later with Company I of the 86th Infantry Regiment, before joining Company K of the 85th Infantry Regiment. Wuerslin also served at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. During combat operations in Italy, he received the Purple Heart for injuries sustained on April 23, 1945 at the Po River, as well as the Good Conduct medal and the Infantryman's Combat badges. Wuerslin attained the rank of Staff Sargeant.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wuerslin, Manfred G., 1923- -- Interviews.
- Finding Aid for the Manfred G. Wuerslin oral history,2004[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States