Clark O. Hitt oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Hitt's experiences: raid on Pianosinatico and Hill 913; his friend Robert Moresco, time before he was sent to Italy and being killed in action on Hill 913; traveling back to Italy to visit some of the places that remembered from the war; meeting with Moresco's son and daughter in Italy to place a memorial plaque in their father's honor; February 1945 battle to take Belvedere and a wallet he found on a dead German soldier.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Clark O. "Oz" Hitt, Jr. was born on June 5, 1925 near Swan, Tex. and volunteered entering the Army at Dallas, Tex. on August 24, 1943. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried and had completed high school. Hitt joined what would become the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company K of the 85th Infantry Regiment. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex., Camp Carson, Colo. and in Italy. During combat operations in Italy, Hitt was wounded in action at Hill 909, Mount della Spe on April 16, 1945. He earned the Combat Infantry Badge, Good Conduct medal, Purple Heart, and Bronze Star medals.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hitt, Clark O., Jr., 1925- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Clark O. Hitt oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script