Angelo Noce papers
Identifier: C MSS WH2243
Scope and Contents
Collection contains correspondence and other items documenting Angelo Noce's efforts to have October 12th designated as Columbus Day. Included are photos, portraits, clippings, Noce family genealogy (ca.1897), drafts and other documents related to Noce's book: Columbus Day in Colorado (1910), certificates, and ephemera.
- Check date
- Noce, Angelo,1847-1922. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Angelo Noce was born in the Genoan region of Italy (ca.1847) the son of Giacomo and Chiara (Ardito) Noce. He emigrated with his family to Jackson, Amador County, Calif. in 1850. In Cailf., Noce worked for both the San Francisco Examiner and the Sacramento Court system before moving to Denver, Colo. in 1882. In Denver, he served as the Deputy County Assessor and also founded the weekly Italian newspaper, La Stella. In 1906, Noce began to lobby the State of Colo. for the the obervance of October 12th as a day to honor Christopher Columbus and Italian Americans. Columbus Day became the first officail state holiday in Colo. in 1907 and a federal holiday in 1937. Noce died in Denver, Colo. in 1922.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift ;Pasquale Napolitano ;1989. Gift ;Mary Crier ;2012.
Collection formerly cataloged under C MSS -M1648.
- Columbus Day -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documents (object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Drafts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Italian Americans -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Noce family -- Genealogy.
- Noce, Angelo, 1847-1922 -- Archives.
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Finding Aid for the Angelo Noce papers1890-1984[manuscript]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script