Robert W. MacDonald oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about MacDonald's experiences: role of the 10th Mountain Division and the importance of training; German strategy in Italy; gaps in communication and the friction this caused between officers and front line soldiers (DVD1) -- role of specialized troops and development of the 10th Mountain Division; being a soldier in Italy and differences between Camp Hale and Italy; why Italy was called the "Forgotten Front"; war in general from Sicily to Salerno and the northern mountains; difference in mindset between the Germans stationed at the central and northern Italian fronts (DVD2) -- role and importance of the quartermaster; Rover Joe operations and strategic importance of Mount Belvedere and Riva Ridge operations; other battles and strategies of the Italian Campaign (DVD3).
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Robert W. MacDonald was born in [Schenectady], N.Y. on December 18, 1922 and enlisted in the Army on January 18, 1943 at Albany, N.Y. At the time of his enlistment, he was unmarried and had completed one year of college. MacDonald joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was imitially assigned to the 86th Infantry Regiment before transfer to Company C and Headquarters Company of the 85th Infantry Regiment. He received the Bronze Star medal for his actions during the attack on Mount Belvedere on February 27, 1945. MacDonald died in Colorado Springs, Colo. on December 12, 2011.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- MacDonald, Robert W., 1922-2011 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Robert W. MacDonald oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script