William D. Parker oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Parker's experiences: basic training in Tex.; volunteering for the 10th Mountain Division and being assigned at Camp Swift, Tex. in November 1944; trip across the Atlantic Ocean en route to Naples, Italy.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
William Parker was born on March 3, 1926 in Newton, Utah and enlisted in the Army at Fort Douglas, Utah on June 13, 1944. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried and had completed four years of high school. Parker joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Tex. where he was assigned to Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy he was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Pizzo de Campiano on February 19-22, 1945. Parker attained the rank of Private First Class and also received the Good Conduct, Victory, and Sharpshooter Medals, as well as the European African Middle Eastern Service Ribbon, and Combat Infantryman's Badge.
1 videodisc(s) (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Parker, William D., 1926- -- Interviews.
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the William D. Parker oral history,2004[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script