Percy A. Rideout oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Rideout's experiences: growing up in Mass. and coaching the Dartmouth ski team; entering the army and graduating from Officers Candidates School; being assigned to Camp Hale and the "D" series training; traveling to Alta and Aspen to ski; traveling to Italy and Livorno; being assigned to Company F to replace a wounded officer; time spent in local villages prior to Riva Ridge offensive; snow caves; April offensive and being wounded; time in the hospital; being at Lake Garda as the war was ending; time at the Yugoslav border; leadership of Henry J. "Hank" Hampton.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Percy A. Rideout was born in Mass. on November 28, 1918 and enlisted in the Army on April 29, 1942 at Manchester, N.H. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed four year of college and working as a sports instructor. Rideout had been a member and captain of the Dartmouth ski team while in college. He graduated from Officer Candidates School in September 1944 and was assigned to the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. Rideout served with the 86th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, he received a Bronze Star Medal for his actions at Cingio del Bure in February 17-29, 1945. Rideout later received the Silver Star Medal and was wounded in action at Torre Iussi on April 14, 1945. He attained the rank of Captain.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hampton, Henry J., 1907-1950. -- Archival resources.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rideout, Percy A., 1919- -- Interviews.
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Percy A. Rideout oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script