H. Robert Krear oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides biographical information and personal observations about Krear's experiences with the 10th Mountain Division during World War II: early life in Pa. including: elementary and high school, as well as effects of the depression on his family; time at Penn State University and participation on Ski team; joining the military and deciding to stay after early injury; arriving at Camp Hale and the training that took place there; assignment to weapons and rifle platoons; move to Camp Swift and the changes encountered; Gen Hays designation for mountain troops as 10 Mountain Division; crossing the Atlantic and arriving at Naples; early time in the area of Belvedere as a key strategic area; general description of taking Belvedere, crossing the Gothic line, and other battles leading to the Po River and Lake Garda; time after the war at ski locations; completing PhD and career as a wildlife biologist; participation in expeditions to Alaska and creation of Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
H. Robert "Bob" Krear was born in Pa. in 1922. He enlisted in the Army on October 12, 1942 at Chambersburg, Pa. Krear volunteered for the ski troops in May 1943 and arrived at Camp Hale, Colo, in June. He was assigned to Company L of the 86th Infantry Regiment. During the Italian Campaign, he earned the Expert Infantry Badge, the Combat Infantryman Badge and the Bronze Star Medal. Following the War, Krear graduated with a degree in Forestry from Penn State University. He received his MS degree in Zoology from the University of Wyoming and a PhD in Biology from the University of Colorado. He taught for many years, and also spent fifteen years as a seasonal professional naturalist in several national parks.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Carson (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Krear, Harry R. (Harry Robert), 1922- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the H. Robert Krear oral history,March 21, 2001
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script