Hassell G. Vass oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Vass' experiences: personal background and basic training at Ft. Bliss; circumstances around joining the 10th Mountain Division; arrival at Camp Hale and time spent with wife; "D" series; furlough prior to transport to Italy; poverty in Naples; time at Villa outside Pisa; arrival at Riva Ridge, seeing Selwin Alexander's death; being wounded at Castel D'Aiano and hospital stay; transport back to the US aboard a hospital ship; readjustment to civilian life.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Hassell G. Vass was born on July 10, 1922 in Carroll County, Va. and enlisted in the Army on January 9, 1943 at Baltimore, Md. At the time of his enlistment he was married, had completed grammar school and working as an electrician. Vass received his basic training at Ft. Bliss, Tex. before joining the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. in April 1943 where he was assigned to Battery A of the 10th Mountain Infantry, Antitank Battalion. He was wounded in action in Italy at Pizzo di Campiano on March 2, 1945.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hi-8 Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. 10th Mountain Infantry, Antitank Battalion -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- VHS Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Vass, Hassell G., 1922- -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Hassell G. Vass oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script