Denver Typographical Union, No. 49 Records
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a microfilm copy (Mflm32) of four volumes of union records (1864-1903) and proceedings of trial committee upon charges against Homer E. Dunn (1908). Additional item includes a bound scrapbook (1871-1878) containing circulars from other typographical unions advising of local unfair labor practices, expulsion of members for non-payment of dues, and identifying member "rats" caught working in non-union situations or expelled for non payment of dues.
- Denver Typographical Union, No. 49 (Denver, Colo.). (Organization)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Denver, Colo. printers' union affiliated with the International Typographical Union. Organized in April 1860 by five printers working at the Rocky Mountain Newspaper, organization later chartered on June 9, 1860. Claims to be Colorado's first trade-union.
1 box(es) (.25 linear feet)
1 microfilm reel(s) (35mm) (Mflm 32)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Billy J. Austin, Denver Typographical Union, No. 49; 1977. Gift; Unknown donor; n.d.
Varying Form of Title
DTU No. 49 records.
Original copies of company record books held by University of Colorado archive, Boulder, Colo.
- Business records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Denver Typographical Union, No. 49 (Denver, Colo.) -- Archives.
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Printing industry -- Employees -- Labor unions -- History -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Typographers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Typographers -- History -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Denver Typographical Union, No. 49 Records
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script