Maximilian Gross Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains copies of Gross' letters (1945), emigration documents (1942), and personal property certificate (1945).
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Maximilian Gross was born on March 12, 1922 in Vienna, Austria, the son of Hermann Gross, a businessman and arbitrator, and Anna Gross. He completed two years of high school (Academic Gymnasium) in Vienna and two years of college. Gross and his family emigrated from Austria to New York in 1938 during the Anschluss. He and his family were considered enemy aliens, but a group called Austrian Action interceded on his behalf and they were considered loyal after Gross enlisted in the Army on March 29, 1943 in New York City. Gross served in Company 85-G of the 10th Mountain Division during World War II, participating in training at Camp Hale, Colorado and Camp Swift, Texas before serving in Italy. He attained the rank of T/5 during his service. After the war he returned to the United States where he was became a model-maker and jewelry designer, and later a real estate broker. Gross settled in California and married Elizabeth Ballinger-Gross. They had four children. Maximilian Gross died August 26, 2004.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Maximilan Gross; 1998.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gross, Maximilian, 1922-2004 -- Archives.
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maximilian Gross Papers
- Keli Schmid
- May 28, 2021
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script