William H. Fricke Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains correspondence from Fricke to his parents (February 4, 1945), related correspondence (1998).
- 1945, 1998
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
William Fricke was born in 1923 in Pennsylvania the son of Herberton and Edith Fricke. He was the eldest of five children and enlisted in the Army on December 11, 1942 in Ithaca, New York. Fricke was single and had completed one year of college prior to enlistment. He trained with the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado, later moved with the 10th to Camp Swift, Texas, and was sent to Italy to fight in World War II. During his military service Fricke was a member of the Judge Advocate General’s office and served in the 87th Regiment, Companies K, F, and E, as well as in the 3rd Battalion Headquarters Company of the 87th Regiment. William Fricke attained the rank of Sergeant, and earned both a Bronze Star and a Silver Star for his service. He died on July 14, 1946 of wounds suffered in action April 21, 1945 at Bagazzano, Italy.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Sally F. Oesterling; 1998.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fricke, William H., 1923-1946 -- Archives.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William H. Fricke Papers
- Keli Schmid
- May 28, 2021
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script