Robert L. Chester oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Chester's experiences: basic training at Ft. Breckenridge, Ky.; training with his twin brother, Reginald F. Chester at Camp Hale, Colo.; loosing contact with his brother after arriving in Italy; his brother being wounded in action during the Apennines and Po RIver campaigns on April 23, 1945; his life in general.
- Check date
- Chester, Robert L.,1919-2009. (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
- Chester, Robert L., 1919-2009, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Robert L. Chester was born in Gouverneur, Saint Lawrence, N.Y. on December 24, 1919 and enlisted in the Army on October 17, 1942 at Syracuse, N.Y. At the time of his enlistment, he was unmarried, had completed two years of high school and working as a drill operator in a mine. Chester served his basic training at Fort Breckenridge, Ky. and joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was initially assigned to the 90th Infantry Regiment, but later served with the Third Battalion Headquarters Company of the 86th Infantry Regiment. His twin brother, Reginald F. Chester also served with the 10th Mountain Division and in Italy at the same time. During combat operations in Italy, Chester received the Bronze Star medal for his actions during the Apennines and Po RIver campaigns in Spring 1945. He died in Normal, Ill. on October 10, 2009.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Robert L. Chester;2004.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chester, Reginald F., 1919- -- Archival resources.
- Chester, Robert L., 1919-2009 -- Interviews.
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Robert L. Chester oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script