Hans A. Thompson oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Thompson's experiences: joining the National Ski Patrol with 3 letters of recommendation; training experiences at Camp Hale and the "D" series; how unit climbed to top of Mt. Belvedere and reassurance offered by Gen. Hays; April offensive and taking Hill 913 was worst experience of his life; being in lead company taking Po River and crossing the river; arrival at Lake Garda and welcome in the town of Boccino; guarding bridges on the Yugoslav border.
- Check date
- Thompson, Hans A.,1924-2011. (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
- Thompson, Hans A., 1924-2011, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Hans A. Thompson was born on January 28, 1924 in Seattle, Wash. and enlisted in the Army on October 5, 1942 at Pullman, Wash. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried and had completed one year of college. Thompson joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Companies I and D of the 85th Infantry Regiment, but later served with Company K of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. During combat operations at C. Della Gatte on April 15, 1945 he awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions. Thompson attained the rank of First Sargeant. He died in Vashon, Wash. on June 24, 2011.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fort Ord (Calif.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Thompson, Hans A., 1924-2011 -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Hans A. Thompson oral history,2004[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States