Harold Hanson oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Hanson's experiences as a member of the 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate): training at Camp Hale, Colo.; speaking Norwegian; being sent to Scotland in Sept. 1943; being sent to Normandy as replacements; German resistance; fighting in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany; Aachen, Germany and the discovery of gold and art treasures in the Merkers salt mine; Paris, France; travel to Oslo, Norway from La Havre, France.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Harold Hanson was born in N.D. in 1920 and elisted in the Army on November 4, 1942 at Portland, Or. At the time of enlistment he was unmarried, had completed four years of high school, living in Multnomah County, Wash., and working in a planing mill. Hanson was not a member of the 10th Mountain Division, but joined the 99th Infantry Battalionn (Separate) as a member of Company A. The 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate) was a battalion made up of 1,001 Norwegian nationals and American-born Norwegians. It was called the Viking Battalion and was constituted and organized at Camp Ripley, Minn. in 1942. Members of the 99th trained at Camp Hale, Colo. along with the soldiers from the 10th Mountain Division.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hanson, Harold, 1920- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Battalion, 99th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Harold Hanson oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script