Warren D. Elmer oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Elmer's experiences: first choice for military service was the Navy; head of his ski team recommended him to the 10th Mountain Division; basic training at Ft. Walters, Tex.; arrival at Camp Hale, ability to type, assignment to supply group in HQ; taking notes in the snow during the "D" series; role in Italy taking notes, typing reports, taking dictation; knowledge of activities at Belvedere and Riva Ridge from typing reports; leadership of Bruce Snow and Colonel Bird; dislike of working in the Army, enjoyment of fellowship at different functions; relationship between 10th Mountain Division soldiers and other troops who fought in Italy.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Warren D. Elmer was born in 1924 in N.D. and enlisted in the Army on February 5, 1943 at Spokane, Wash. At the time of enlistment he was single, had completed four years of high school and working in a factory. Elmer joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to the Division's Headquarters company. He also served at Camp Swift, Tex., Camp Carson, Colo. and in Italy. In the spring of 1945 during combat operations at the Po River and Apennines campaigns, Elmer was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions. He attained the rank of Staff Sergeant.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Elmer, Warren D., 1924-2016 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Warren D. Elmer oral history,2005[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script