Denver Tramway Corporation Records
Scope and Contents
Collection contains bound volumes of meeting minutes of Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and Audit Committee; annual report for 1907; scrapbook of permits and privileges; newspaper clippings; mortgages; proceedings of the American Transit Association (1942, 1949), franchises; corporate records; legal proceedings; appraisals; stock certificates; personnel records; ephemera; clippings scrapbooks; photo albums (1948-1955).
- Majority of material found in 1900-1940
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Public transit organization began by operating horse cars in Denver, Colo. in 1867. Replaced horse cars with cable cars in 1880s. By 1900 various horse, cable and electric railway companies were consolidated into the Denver Tramway Company. In the 1950s began operating bus system. Operations were sold to the City and County of Denver in 1971.
11 box(es) (10.25 linear feet)
3 OV Ledgers
2 oversize box(es)
1 oversize folders
1 photo box(es)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Edward James Alexander, 2009; Unknown.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Collection includes former collections: -M877 and -M844.
- Bus lines -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Business records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Local transit -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Street-railroads -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script