Edward J. Flabetich oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Flabetich's joining the 10th Mountain Division as a skier. From his induction at Ft. Lewis, Wash. he went directly to Camp Hale, Colo. and describes Sgt. Torger Torkel as a man with a great character. Flabetich later had appendicitis early in his D series activities. He did not have good experiences at Camp Swift, Tex. and left for Italy from Camp Patrick Henry aboard the SS Argentina. Flabetich also discusses poverty in Naples, Italy, and the nature of the Italian people. The most dangerous moments was the night before the war ended when a replacement soldier died. He also talks about his time as a translator as part of Special Services in Austria.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Edward J. Flabetich was born on December 26, 1924 in Portland, Or., where he graduated from Benson High School and attended Portland Community College. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment. Flabetich also served at Camp Swift, Tex. before being deployed to Italy. He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions at the Apennines and the Po River Battles in Spring 1945. Flabetich was honorably discharged on March 23, 1945 at Ft. Logan, Colo.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Edward J. Flabetich;2007.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Carson (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Flabetich, Edward J., 1924- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Edward J. Flabetich oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script