Nathan E. Morrell oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Morrell's experiences: joining the Division as a skier with 3 letters of recommendation; teaching skiing at Camp Hale; snow journey from Leadville to Aspen, Colo.; skiers as soldiers and relationship with officers; role of medics on the battlefield, aid stations, wounded (Part1); role of medic on battlefield; casualty rate in Italy, Belvedere, and April offensive; aid station at Castel D'Aiano; German sniper (Part2); surrender and treatment of German prisoners; providing recreation for troops after the war at Lake Garda; summary (Part3).
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Nathan E. Morrell was born in N.H. on January 14, 1924 and enlisted in the Army on January 13, 1943 at Manchester, N.H. He learned to ski at an early age, became a ski instructor and transferred to the 10th Mountain Division during the war. Morrell served with a number of different units: Company C and Headquarters Company of the 86th Infantry Regiment; Mountain Training Group with the 10th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop; and finally with Company A of the 10th Medical Battalion. He was also stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. Morrell received the Bronze Star medal and was wounded in action at Castel D'Aiano on April 14, 1945. He received a Battlefield Commission as a 2nd Lieutenant. Morrell died on March 6, 2013 at Samaritan Medical Center, Watertown, N.Y.
3 videodiscs (112 min.) : ?b sd., col. ; ?c 4 3/4 in. + ?e 6 videocassettes (224 min. : sd., col. ; 1/2 in.) +1 envelope
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Single interview recorded in three parts copied on three different video file formats: DVD, DigiBeta video tape, DVCassette video tape.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Morrell, Nathan E., 1924-2013 -- Interviews.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. 10th Mountain Division, Medical Battalion -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- Videocassettes. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Nathan E. Morrell oral history,2004[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script