Cruz F. Rios oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Rios' experiences: basic training at Camp Roberts, Calif. as a member of the mortar group; landing at Kiska Island and staying until December 1943; arriving at Camp Hale in January 1944 and time spent at Camp Hale and Camp Swift; being dispatched to Italy and intense German fire in April 1945; description of a friend who was killed in action; time spent in San Michel after the war.
- Check date
- Rios, Cruz F.,1918- (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
- Rios, Cruz F., 1918- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Cruz F. Rios was born in Colton, Calif. on December 15, 1918 and enlisted in the Army on February 15, 1943 at Fresno, Calif. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed two years of high school and working as a miner. Rios joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company K of the 87th Infantry Regiment. He also served at Fort Ord, Calif.; Kiska, Alaska; Camp Carson, Colo.; Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. During combat operations in the Apennines and Po River Campaigns, Rios received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions in Spring 1945. He attained the rank of Private First Class and also received the Good Conduct, Asiatic Pacific, and European Theater Medals, as well as the Combat Infantryman's Badge.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- person interviewed (as in 100), date -- Interviews.
- Finding Aid for the Cruz F. Rios oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States