Paul R. Lafferty and John Skillern oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about the 10th Mountain Division: the origins of the 10th Mountain Division; Lafferty and Skillern discuss prominent people in early days of skiing and the origins of the Mountain Training Center (the first choice was actually Henry Lake, Wyo.). They also discuss testing of mountain equipment, clothing and rations; training other combat troops in rock climbing and mountaineering skills
- circa 1987
- Walton, Barbara, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Paul R. Lafferty was born in Or. on August 17, 1910. He was married, had graduated from the University of Or. (1932) and working in his father's wholesale grocery business until enlisting in the U.S. Army after Pearl Habor. Laffery served as a Lt. Colonel with the 10th Mountain Division at Ft. Lewis, Calif., Camp Hale, Colo., and at Camp Swift, Tex. He was assigned to Company A 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment, Headquarters Company 86th Mountain Infantry Regiment, and 10th Mountain Infantry Division, Headquarters Company. Lafferty died in Or. on January 13, 1992. -- John Skillern was born in Boise, Idaho on November 29, 1920 and enlisted in the Army on August 3, 1942 at Portland, Or. At the time of his enlistment, he was married, and had completed 4 years of college. Skillern joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo.and later served at Camp Swift, Tex., and in Italy. He was assigned to 10th Mountain Training Group, RECON squad, Company A and Services Company of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He attained the rank of Sergeant. Skillern died on January 6, 2011 in Lane County, Or.
Other Finding Aids
Typed notes available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Armed Forces -- Officers -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lafferty, Paul R., 1910-1992 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Skillern, John, 1920-2011 -- Interviews.
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Paul R. Lafferty and John Skillern oral history
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States