Hunter L. Slugg oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Slugg's experiences with the 10th Mountain Division during World War II: mountaineering training; how he scored expert with the BAR during training and being assigned as a BAR man in his unit; unit's arrival in Italy and movement to the front lines relieving British Forces in the Belvedere area; promotion to assistant Squad leader as a Sergeant; experiences during Riva Ridge, Po Valley, Lake Garda and the brief encounter with Tito's forces; personnel feelings concerning his experiences on the battlefield and how his discharge papers indicated that he had been in the Signal Corps, rather than the 10th Mountain Division.
- no date
- Slugg, Hunter L.(Hunter Lloyd),1917-1983 (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Hunter L. Slugg was born on November 8, 1917 in Willow Grove, Pa. and enlisted in the Army on April 7, 1943 in Philadelphia, Pa. At the time of his enlistment, he was unmarried, had completed 4 years of high school and working in a machine shop. Slugg joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he served with Company D of the 86th Mountain Infantry Regiment. He later served at Camp Swift and in Italy. While engaged in combat operations against the German forces occupying Italy, Slugg was awarded the Bronze Star Medal on April 14, 1945 for his actions at Rocca di Roffeno. He attained the rank of Sergeant. Hunter Slugg died on April 11, 1983 in WIllow Grove, Pa.
Other Finding Aids
Typed notes available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slugg, Hunter L. (Hunter Lloyd), 1917-1983 -- Interviews.
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Hunter L. Slugg oral history
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script