Harvey A. Wieprecht oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview document Wieprecht's experiences as a member of the 10th Mountain Division: experiences as a ski instructor, radioman and mortar team leader in the 86th during training at Camp Hale and Camp Swift; arrival of his unit in Naples and their movement to the front lines, relieving a British unit; Company F was the first 10th Mountain Division unit to engage the Germans; experiences during the attack on Riva Ridge and the subsequent defense; liberation of Italian villages on the way to Lake Garda, and his unit's confrontation with Tito's forces on the border with Yugoslavia.
- no date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Harvey A. Wieprecht was born in Ore. on July 12, 1923. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo., and later served at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. Wieprecht returned to Camp Carson, Colo. before his release from the military. He was assigned to Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment, and later was transferred to Company F. While engaged in combat operations against the German forces occupying Italy, Wieprecht was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions at Mt. Mantino on April 15, 1945. He attained the rank of PFC
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Carson (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th.
- Wieprecht, Harvey A.., 1923- -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Harvey A. Wieprecht oral history
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States