John Imbrie oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Imbrie's experiences: basic training and joining the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Tex.; importance of mountain training at Riva Ridge; battles in Italy prior to the arrival of the 10th Mountain Division; Mt. Belvedere and Riva Ridge, Gen. Hays strategy and orders; German soldiers, artillery advantage, importance of artillery in warfare;' battles at Torraccia, Castel D'Aiano, della Spe; high casualties on Hill 913; importance of the Po River and Valley; coalition at Trieste.
- Check date
- Imbrie, John. (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
- Imbrie, John, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
John Imbrie was born on July 4, 1925 in Penn Yan, N.Y. and enlisted in the Army on April 21, 1944 at Camp Upton Yaphank, N.Y. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried and had completed two years of college. Imbrie served his basic training at Camp Croft, N.C. and joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Tex. where he was assigned to Company C of the 85th Infantry Regiment. On April 22, 1944 Imbrie was wounded in action in Italy at Bomporto. After the war he earned a BA in Geology from Princeton University (1948), an MA (1951) and PhD (1952) from Yale University. Imbrie has taught at Columbia University, and Brown University where he was named the Henry L. Doherty Professor of Oceanography (1976). He is the author of a number of books chronocling the history of the 10th Mountain Division and the 85th Infantry Regiment.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Imbrie, John -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the John Imbrie oral history,2006[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States