Norma Harter oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview was conducted with Lawrence Harter's wife, Norma Jean Harter. Mrs. Harter provides information and personal observations about her husband's time with the 10th Mountain Division; how the couple met and married; Lawrence Harter's membership in the National Ski Patrol and learning of the 10th Mountain Division from Minnie Dole; completing his basic training at Camp Upton, N.Y.; travel to Camp Hale, Colo.; being injured while a member of the 90th Infantry Regiment; serving in Italy with the 86th Infantry Regiment.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Lawrence Harter was born on August 23, 1919 in Mohawk, N.Y. and enlisted in the Army on February 2, 1943 at Utica, N.Y. At the time of his enlistment Harter was single, had completed four years of high school and working in sales. Harter was also a member of the Mohawk Valley Ski Club and the National Ski Patrol. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company B of the 86th Infantry Regiment, later with Company E of the 90th Infantry Regiment, before returning to Company E of the 86th. Harter married his wife, Norma Jean Harter on January 20, 1946. He died in New Hartford, N.Y. on March 11, 2003.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Produced as part of the Western History/Genealogy Dept. Oral History Project. (if applicable, check inventory)
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Harter, Lawrence E., 1919-2003 -- Archival resources.
- Harter, Norma Jean, 1924- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 90th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Norma Harter oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script