Claude Lewis oral history
Identifier: C MSS OH290
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Lewis' experiences: being in the Army for four years prior to joining the 10th Mountain Division; impressions of Camp Swift, Tex.; being shipped to Italy and landing at Leghorn in December 1944; time in Pisa, and as an artillery observer at Belvedere and Riva Ridge; being first scout on the April 14 offensive; time with an Italian family and how they helped each other; friends he made during the war.
- Check date
- Lewis, Claude J.,1922- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Claude J. Lewis was born in Va. in 1922 and enlisted in the Army on December 11. 1940 at Fort Bragg, N.C. At the time of his enlistment, he was umarried, had completed four years of high school, and working as a farm hand. Lewis joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Tex. where he was assigned to the 10th Quartermaster Battalion, but later served with Company F of the 86th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, he was wounded in action at Torre Iussi in April 1945. Lewis attained the rank of Staff Sergeant.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lewis, Claude J., 1922- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Claude Lewis oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script