William A. "Bill" Morrison oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Morrison's experiences: basic training at Camp Hale and personal observations; exchanging positions with a fellow soldier, Peterson, who was later killed; stopping in battle to help wounded soldiers; post war activities and working with youth.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
William A. "Bill" Morrison was born on September 28, 1923 in Girvan, Scotland and enlisted in the Army on February 3, 1943 at Hartford, Conn. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed one year of college, and working as a technician. Morrison joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company B, later with Company L of the 86th Infantry Regiment; and also with Company C of the 90th Infantry Regiment. During combat operations in Italy, he was wounded in action at Mt. Gorgolesco on February 2, 1945, and received the Bronze Star medal for his action at Badia on April 18, 1945. Morrison attained the rank of Staff Sargent. He has also served as the upstate N.Y. Chapter President for the National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, Inc., and on September 17, 2009, Morrison attended the Medal of Honor Ceremony for SFC Jared Monti at the White House.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Morrison, William A., 1923- -- Interviews.
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the William A. "Bill" Morrison oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script