George S. Sisneros oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Sisneros' experiences: early days before transfer to the 10th Mountain Division; military training, climbing Pike's Peak with mules; strategy used to take mountains in Italy; Captain Devens and Sergeant Kauzlarich of "C" Battery, Devens receiving a Silver Star medal, Sisineros and Kauzlarich receiving Bronze Star medals; building a communication system that saved members of the 85th; singing the Pack Artillery Song.
- Check date
- Sisneros, George S.,1918-2010. (Person)
- Williams, Dusty, (Person)
- Sisneros, George S., 1918-2010, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
George S. Sisneros was born in N.M. on May 21, 1918 and enlisted in the Army on July 10, 1941 at Santa Fe, N.M. At the time of his enlistment, he was unmarried, had completed 2 years of college, and working as a farm hand. Sisneros joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Headquarters of the 85th Infantry Regiment, later transferred to Headquarters of the 604th Field Artillery Battalion (Pack). He also served at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. Sisneros was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions near Mount della Torraccia on February 23, 1945, and attained the rank of Staff Sergeant. He died on October 13, 2010 in Tinnie, N.M.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sisneros, George S., 1918-2010 -- Interviews.
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Field Artillery Battalion (Pack), 604th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the George S. Sisneros oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script