William R. Brown oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Brown's experiences: basic training at Ft. Jackson, S.C. and time spent at Ft. Benning, Ga., and Ft. Lewis, Wash.; training standards and discipline at Camp Hale, Colo.; uniqueness of soldiers, skiing experience; leadership characteristics of General Hays; transfer of mules from Camp Hale to Camp Swift, Tex.; being pinned down at della Torraccia and being wound in action, receiving the Silver Star; role in the development of Vail ski resort.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
William R. "Sarge" Brown joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he served with Company L of the 86th Mountain Infantry Regiment. He was seriously wounded during combat in Italy and spent months in a hospital. Brown recieved both the Bronze Star and Silver Star medals. He also served in the Korean War and later taught mountaineering skills for Dartmouth ROTC. In 1966. Moved to Vail, Colo. and managed the construction of ski lifts and trails. Succeeded in getting the 1989 World Alpine Ski Championship held at Vail, Colo. Inducted into the Colorado Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame (1982) and the U.S. National Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame (1990). Died September 14, 2008 in Grand Junction, Colo.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Other Finding Aids
Typed transcript of tape available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;William R. Brown;n.d.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Brown, William R., Jr., 1922-2008 -- Interviews.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the William R. Brown oral history,2004[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script