John B. Woodard oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Woodward's experiences: ski training at Mt. Rainier and his role as head of the ski school; experimentation with ski equipment and techniques; how skiing techniques were used at Camp Hale, Colo.; ski instruction films made by Otto Lang; experiences in Italy with an abandoned German tank; racing for the University of Washington after the war.
- Check date
- Woodward, John B.,1915- (Person)
- Kealy, Abbie, (Person)
- Woodward, John B., 1915 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
John Woodward was born in Iowa in 1915 and moved to Seattle, Wash. in 1927. He learned to ski at a young age with the Boy Scouts and was involved in R.O.T.C. at the University of Washington. Woodward joined the Army in 1940 as a 2nd Lieutenant and began his military service at Fort Lewis, Wash. before transferring to Camp Hale, Colo. Initially assigned to the 41st Infantry Division Ski Patrol and later with the 3rd Infantry Ski Division, he subsequently served with Company B of the 87th Infantry Regiment; 10th Mountain Division Reconnaissance Troop and the 3rd Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment Headquarters before joining the 1st Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment Headquarters. He was also stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. before being sent to Italy. Woodward was awarded two Bronze Star medals for his service at Castel D'Aiano in March 1945 and at S. Benedetto Po, April 1945. He achieved the rank of Major.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- Woodward, John B., 1915- -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the John B. Woodard oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States