Martin Leonard D'Ooge oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about D'Ooge's assignment as a replacement officer, battle at Castel d'Aiano and hearing loss, German resistance at Lake Garda, reaction to the end of the war, Camp Carson, Colo., inactivation of the division after the war.
- Check date
- D'Ooge, Martin Leonard,1924- (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Martin Leonard D'Ooge was born on January 12, 1924 in Milton, Mass. and entered the enlisted reserve in 1942 while attending Michigan State University. He received basic training as a horse cavalryman at Fort Riley, Kan. In 1944, D'Ooge was accepted at officer candidate school, and trained at Ft. Benning, Ga. He was sent to Italy as a replacement officer and joined the 10th Mountain Division, Company D of the 85th Infantry Regiment shortly after the Mt. Belvedere offensive. D'Ooge was a heavy weapons platoon leader. He was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his actions in the Apennines and Po River battles.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- D'Ooge, Martin Leonard, 1924- -- Interviews.
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Martin Leonard D'Ooge oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States