James Vincent Keck oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Keck's experiences: basic training at Ft. Leavenworth, Kan. and being a member of the rifle group; training with the Army Air Corp but unable to find a permanent assignment; joining the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. just before the Division moved to Camp Swift, Tex.; travel to Italy aboard the West Point and landing in Naples; time in Italy at Riva Ridge, Mt. Belvedere; time in a German trench on top of Belvedere when several Germans surrendered; being wounded during the April offensive and being in a hospital when the war ended; time spent at the Yugoslavian border; being discharged from Camp McCoy, Wisc.
- Check date
- Keck, James Vincent,1923- (Person)
- Keck, James Vincent, 1923- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
James Vincent Keck was born in Onida, S.D. on September 30, 1923. During World War II, he served with the 10th Mountain Division. He was assigned to the 85th Infantry Regiment, Company I. While engaged in combat operations against the German Army in Italy, Keck was wounded in action on Hill 913 near Castel d' Aaino and received a Bronze Star medal on April 14, 1945. He achieved the rank of sergeant. Following the war, Keck pursued a career in the insurance industry.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Keck, James Vincent, 1923- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the James Vincent Keck oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States