Charles Grandison Hinman Diary
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a diary documenting Hinman's overland journey from near Peoria, Ill. to Cali. (1849) with a few entries on prospecting for gold (1850); also records of expenses (1849-1851); diary was also used by Hinman's daughter, Helen "Nellie" Whitcomb Hinman (1844-1920) for German school exercises (1862); microfilm (Mflm44) contains diary as well as a few letters from Hinman to his wife, Sarah Hosley Whitcomb Hinman (1816-1877).
- 1849-1850, 1862
- Hinman, Charles G., 1808?-1868 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Charles Grandison Hinman was born in New Milford, Conn. on November 2, 1810. By the mid-1840s, he was working as a carriage maker in Groveland, Ill. where he outfitted a wagon: the "Groveland Belle," for trip across the plains and mountains to the gold fields of California (1849). After his California venture, Hinman moved with this family to Hawleyville, Iowa in the 1860s where he died on August 27, 1868.
1 envelope (2 folders)
2 microfilm reels (microfilm reel 2 is a copy)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Fred Rosenstock, Denver, Colo., no date.
Collection also contains microfilm (C MSS Mflm44).
- California -- Gold discoveries. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hinman, Nellie W., 1844-1920 -- Archives
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Overland journeys to the Pacific. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Charles Grandison Hinman Diary
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script