John H. Caster oral history
Scope and Contents
Collection contains two interviews recorded on two audiocassettes: 1. Provides information and personal observations about Caster's experiences with the 10th Mountain Division during World War II (January 11, 1993) -- 2. Contains comments about the Vail Ski Trooper statue project (May 23, 1995).
- January 11, 1993; May 23, 1995
- Caster, John H.,1923- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
John H. Caster was born in Ill. in 1923. He enlisted in the Army on March 3, 1943 at Fort Sheridan, Ill. and joined the 10th Mountain Division. He served with the 86th Infantry Regiment assigned at various times to Companies A, F, G and the Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion. Caster trained with the Division at Camp Hale, Colo., Camp Swift Tex. and in Italy. Following the war, Caster returned to Camp Carson, Colo. During the Italian Campaign, Caster received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions during the Appenines and Po River Campaigns in Spring 1945.
2 sound cassettes
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Caster, John H., 1923- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the John H. Caster oral history,1993-1995
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script