Steve P. Knowlton oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview is conducted by Martha Teichner, CBS Network commentator, provides information and personal observations about Knowlton's experiences: influence of the European ski stars in the 10th Mountain Division; what made the 10th an elite unit; experiences in combat; and his achievements after the war including competing in the Winter Olympics in France after the war.
- Knowlton, Stephen P.,1922-1998 (Person)
- Teichner, Martha, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Stephen P. Knowlton was born August 3, 1922 in Pittsburg, Pa. He began skiing when he was seven years old and was captain of his high school ski team. While attending the University of New Hampshire, Knowlton won several skiing awards. He volunteered for the ski troops in 1942 and became a squad leader in the intelligence and reconnaissance platoon with the 86th Mountain Infantry Regiment. Knowlton also recieved two Bronze Star Medals for his actions at Mt. Terminale on March 3, 1945 and during the Apennines and Po River campaigns in Spring of 1945. Following the war, Knowlton won the U.S. National Downhill Ski championship in 1946. He was a member of the 1948 U.S. Olympic ski team. He later helped develop Aspen, Colo. as a ski resort and was responsible for opening Ski Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. Knowlton was inducted into three different halls of fame: National Ski Hall of Fame (1975); Colorado Ski Hall of Fame (1981), and the Colorado Restaurant Hall of Fame (1993). He died in Denver, Colo. on October 1, 1998.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Knowlton, Stephen P., 1922-1980 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Steve P. Knowlton oral history,1990s
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States