William P. Lehman oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Lehman's experiences with the 10th Mountain Division during World War II: two stories related to combat; humorous experiences; trips he made during R&R.
- no date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
William P. Lehman was born in Pa. on March 23, 1918. He enlisted in the Army as a Private on August 2, 1935 and was later commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant on February 11, 1943. Lehman joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and later served at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. He was assigned to Headquarters Company of the 616 Field Artillery, 10th Mountain Division. While engaged in combat operations against the German forces occupying Italy, Lehman was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions in the Apennines and the Po River battles during Spring 1945. He attained the rank of Captain while with the 10th and later served in the U.S. Army Reserve and Army National Guard. Retiring in 1975 as a Colonel, he was inducted into the Field Artillery OCS Hall of Fame in 1978. Lehman died in Tucson, Ariz. on December 30, 2003.
Other Finding Aids
Typed notes available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Armed Forces -- Officers -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lehman, Willam P., 1918-2003 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Field Artillery Battalion (Pack), 616th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the William P. Lehman oral history
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States