John C. Meier Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a copy of Meier's memoir: The World War II Experiences of Sgt. John Meier (1994).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John C. Meier was born on August 29, 1923 in Norriston, Pa.and enlisted in the Army reserve on November 14, 1942 at State College. At the time of his enlistment Meier was unmarried, and had completed one year of college before being called to active duty. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Headquarters Company, 604th Field Artilllery Battalion (Pack). During combat operations in Italy, Meier flew reconnaissance missions as an observer with the Division's Artillery Air Section (Rover Joe), coordinating artillery fire from the air. At the end of the war in Europe, he was sent to the Pacific and served during the early occupation of Japan surveying Hiroshima to assess damage for the rebuilding of the city. Meier attained the rank of Corporal. He died on October 15, 2001 in Raleigh, N.C.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Doug Meier, 2002.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Meier, John C., 1923-2001 -- Archives.
- Memoirs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Field Artillery, 604th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script