John W. Tripp oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Tripp's experiences: being discharged from the Army Air Corps for poor eyesight; joining the 10th Mountain Division as a member of Company L of the 87th Infantry Regiment; being a Technical Sergeant in the mortar section; meeting his wife and the role of wives to enlisted men; from Camp Hale to Kiska Island and return to Camp Hale; skiing experience before and during his time at Camp Hale; travel to Italy; being wounded at Mt. Della Vedetta; remaining in Italy after the war to teach rock climbing at Capperetta; career and company he owned after the war.
- Check date
- Tripp, John W.,1919- (Person)
- Smith, John, (Person)
- Roaring Fork Valley Historical Association, (Organization)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
John W. Tripp was born on July 28, 1919 in Waterbury, Conn. and enlisted in the Army on October 14, 1942 at Hartford, Conn. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried and had completed one year of college. Tripp joined the 10th Mountain Division where he was assigned to Company L of the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment. He participated in the invasion of Kiska Island and Italy. During combat operations at Mt. Della Vedetta, Tripp was wounded in action and received the Bronze Star and Purple Heart Medals for his actions on March 3, 1945. He attained the rank of Technial Sargeant.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Roaring Fork Valley Historical Association;2007.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Kiska Island (Alaska) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tripp, John W., 1919- -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the John W. Tripp oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States