John P. Litchfield oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Litchfield's experiences: as a member of the ski team and 1939 graduating class at Dartmouth College; working at Sun Valley before WW2; basic training at Camp Roberts, Calif.; training at Camp Hale, Colo. and the "D" series; relationship between enlisted men and officers; troop make-up in Italy; experiences with the development of the ski industry in Aspen after the war.
- Check date
- Litchfield, John P.,1917-2011. (Person)
- Litchfield, John P., 1917-2011, (Person)
- Merritt, Dick, (Person)
- Roaring Fork Valley Historical Association, (Organization)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
John Litchfield was born in Lisbon Falls, Me. in 1917. He was a graduate of Dartmouth College (1939) where he had been a member of the National Champion Dartmouth Ski Team. Litchfield was Inducted into U.S. Army at Hailey, Idaho and went through Infantry Officer Candidate School at Fort Benning, Ga. in 1942. He was assigned to Camp Hale, Colo., where he spent a brief tour of duty with the Mountain Training Center. In September 1944, Litchfield served as Liaison Officer to the 86th Regiment before being shipped to Italy in 1945. Promoted to Captain in February 1945, he was awarded the Bronze Star medal in May 1945. Litchfield also served on the General Staff in the Office of Assistant Chief of Staff, G2 Intelligence during the Korean Conflict (1951-1952) and was honorably discharged in October 1952. He retired to Denver, Colo. in the 1970s and was been involved with the activities of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of the National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, where he served as President. Litchfield was also a Board member of the 10th Mountain Division Hut Association and the 10th Mountain Division Foundation and was the compiler and editor of "Hale and Farewell: Commemorative Book of the WWII 10th Mountain Division" (2007). He died in Denver, Colo. on June 10, 2011.
2 videodiscs (161 min.) :sd., col. ;4 3/4 in. + 1 envelope
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Roaring Fork Valley Historical Association;2008.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Litchfield, John P., 1917-2011 -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the John P. Litchfield oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script