H. Newcomb Eldredge oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Eldrege's experiences as a member of the 10th Mountain Division.
- Check date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
H. Newcomb "Newc" Eldredge was born in 1924 in Baltimore, MD. He grew up in Pittsford, NY, where he graduated from Pittsford High School. Eldredge enlisted in the Army on November 12, 1943 at Rochester, NY. Although he had volunteered for the ski troops, he was sent to Fort McClellan, AL for basic training. He finally joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. in mid-1944 where he was assigned to Company L of the 85th Infantry Regiment. Eldredge later served at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. During combat operations in Italy, he was severely wounded near Castel d'Aiano on April 14, 1945 and was awarded two Bronze Star medals. Extremely active with the National Association of the 10th Mountain Division, he served as president of the New England Chapter from 1978-1980 and as the National Secretary of the organization from 1981-1987.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;H. Newcomb Eldredge;2004.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Eldredge, H. Newcomb, 1924- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the H. Newcomb Eldredge oral history,2004[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script