Edmund P. Barys oral history
Identifier: C MSS OH317
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Barys' experiences: being trained as a tank destroyer at Ft. Benning; transferring to the 10th Mountain Division; witnessing the burning of an Italian village by German soldiers and subsequent revenge taken on the Germans by the Italians; other atrocities committed by German troops; responsibility of having soldiers in the right positions when entering into battle; how he and other observers located the enemy and received permission to open fire.
- Check date
- Barys, Edmund P.,1923- (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Edmund P. Barys was born in Chicago, Ill. on November 13, 1923 and enlisted in the Army in March 1943. He received his initial training as a tank destroyer at Ft. Benning, Ga. before joining the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Tex. Barys was a member of Company C of the 604th Artillery Battalion, and served with the Division in Italy as a Forward Observer. He attained the rank of Sargeant.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Barys, Edmund P., 1923- -- Interviews.
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Field Artillery Battalion (Pack), 605th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Edmund P. Barys oral history,2003[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script