Leo J. Kohlman oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides biographical information and personal observations about Kohlman's experiences as a member of the 10th Mountain Division: civilian background as a working cowboy, rodeo performer and skier; entered the Army at age 30, immediately volunteered for the ski troops and was assigned to the 87th Regiment as an armorer in the supply unit; participated in the Kiska operation, and relates experiences including thoughts on the friendly fire episode, poor leadership and various snafus; describes D series training, and Camp Hale and Camp Swift experiences including mule training; relates his combat experiences including how houses were requisitioned for use; chasing the Germans through the Po Valley; and the confrontation with Tito's army. He also describes his return to the US, decommissioning of the unit and his separation from the Army and provides opinions as to why the 10th Mountain Division has stuck together. Kohlman has written two books frequently referred to in the interview, but not identified. The books are: Uphill with the Ski Troops, and Cowboy'n -The Way it Was.
- no date
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Leo J. "Oley" Kohlman was born on November 5, 1911 in Nunn, Weld County, Colo. and enlisted in the Army on April 14, 1942 at Tacoma, Wash. He was unmarried and had completed 4 years of high school and working on a ranch. Kohlman joined the 10th Mountain Division at Ft. Lewis, Wash. and later served at Camp Hale, Colo., Ft. Ord, Calif., Kiska Island, Alaska, Camp Carson, Colo., Camp Swift, Texas and in Italy. Kohlman was assigned to Companyies F and K of the 87th Infantry Regiment and attained the rank of Technician, Grade 5. He died on March 31, 2008 in Cheyenne, Wyo.
Other Finding Aids
Typed notes available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Carson (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fort Ord (Calif.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kiska Island (Alaska) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kohlman, Leo J., 1911-2008. -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Leo J. Kohlman oral history
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script