Francis W. Lovett oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides biographical information and personal observations about Lovett's experiences with the 10th Mountain Division during World War II: time at Camp Hale, service friends, stress, transition to civilian life and post-war career.
- Lovett, Francis W.(Francis William),Jr.1922- (Person)
- Excelsior School and Club Association (Denver, Colo.) (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Francis William "Bud" Lovett was born July 9, 1922 in Northampton, Mass. and enlisted in the Army on March 22, 1943 at Fort Devens, Mass. At the time of his enlistment, he was unmarried, had completed one year of college and working as an actor. Lovett joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. and was assigned to the 86th Mountain Infantry, Company D, but later served with various Medical Companies with the 85th Mountain Infantry Regiment. He was also stationed at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. Lovett sustained injury and earned several medals during March-April, 1945 at San Cristoforo and Famaticcia: 2 Bronze Star Medals; American service medal; European, African, Middle Eastern Medal; World War II Victory Medal; Good Conduct Medal; and Combat Medical Badge. Following the war, he obtained an MA in English and served as teacher, headmaster and principal for various schools.
Other Finding Aids
Typed index available.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lovett, Francis W. (Francis William), Jr. 1922- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Francis W. Lovett oral historyDecember 31, 2003
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script