Richard S. McCrudden oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about McCrudden's experiences: being introduced to skiing at a very young age in N.H.; attending Middlebury College and being on the school's ski team; being drafted; teaching rock climbing and skiing at Camp Hale; starting a ski school at the camp; skiing at Camp Hale; not being transferred with the 10th Mountain Division to Camp Swift, Tex.; staying at Camp Hale and developing a ski school; continuing his education after the war and return to Aspen, Colo.; working for more than 40 years in the ski industry.
- Check date
- McCrudden, Richard S.,1922- (Person)
- Merritt, Dick, (Person)
- McCrudden, Richard S., 1922- (Person)
- Roaring Fork Valley Historical Association, (Organization)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Richard S. McCrudden was born on November 1, 1922 in Boston, Mass. and enlisted in the Army on April 23, 1943 at Boston. At the time of his enlistment he was unmarried, had completed 2 years of college and working in the manufacture of automobiles. McCrudden joined the 10th Mountain Division at at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company D of the 86th Infantry Regiment, but later transferred to Company I of the 85th Infantry Regiment where he worked as ski instructor. When the Division moved to Camp Swift, Tex. in June 1944, McCrudden stayed at Camp Hale.
1 videodiscs (DVD)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Roaring Fork Valley Historical Association;2007.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- McCrudden, Richard S., 1922- -- Interviews.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Richard S. McCrudden oral history,2007[videorecording]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script